8.31.2012

We Made it Through (and a bunch of rambling)

Hurricane Isaac, which turned into a Tropical Storm while hovering over Baton Rouge, has come and gone.

We found out electricity was lost at our apartment and lost a majority of what was inside our fridge.

However, God was gracious in that, though we were without T.V. (not such a huge ordeal to me considering we don't have cable or even basic channels at home) and internet for almost 24 hours, electricity continued to flow through the storms entirety over at my parent's house. This means I never had to go without all the modern marvels of A/C, a breast pump, and lights. I didn't have to brave the lovely humidity with an already teething, cranky five month old. None of my family suffered any damage and everyone is ok.

There were some moments where we feared for a family members dad, who lives in an area that was majorly flooded, but God answered prayers. He was found and is safe. 

Part of me is hating the fact the internet is back up.

You know, I'm coming to learn I have a love-hate relationship with most of modernity.

I'm also realizing (honestly I continue to realize this a lot but I'm just reminisicing again) how if it weren't for the wonderful mother God gave me, I would be a hermit. Maybe that's partly why I am in a love-hate relationship with the times.

My heart screams for absence from people, internet, phones (oh how I HATE [did you catch that?] talking on the phone, yet love having it for those times I absolutely need it), etc.

I love my car, A/C, lights (only those that cast a soft, small light), and the fact that I don't have to make my own clothes :)

Oh so back to my wonderful mom: you see, if it weren't for her, I would have forever ago found a way to give in to what my heart screams for most. But she, being the wonderful mother that she was and is, took a lot of time to sit with me to talk and work through my hates. She also did not give into my hate of the phone and complete lack of interest in building relationships.

I will never forget the time (I was thirteen you guys...keep that in mind while reading this) she forced me to make a phone call for a science project. I was homeschooled so I didn't have a "turn it in or you'll get an F" looming over me (HA! So I thought). It sat around without me doing it for at least a week.

She continued to inquire: "Did you make that call?"

I skirted the question however I could.

She wasn't blind. She knew I was avoiding it.

And finally the hatchet was raised, poised in ready to be lowered: "Megan, you're going to do this or you will get an 'F' on this project and I will assign a similar project with extra work."

Wha wha wha.

"Excuse me?!?!"I thought. "You did not just tell me I would get an 'F'. Oh I DO NOT want to make that phone call. UGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!"

Of course, my perfectionist self, knowing full well that I was capable of 100%, made the call. I passed the project.

And I learned that making a phone call isn't as horrible as I make it out to be. By no means did it make a phone talker out of me, but I can now make a call, ask for what I need, and do it for myself (yes, I just patted myself on the back...I'm still proud of myself for doing ANYTHING like that for myself) :)

She also made me make the call when I wanted to get a friend over (yes, I don't hate people. I just don't draw energy from being with people and need plenty of me time after spending time with someone no matter how much I love them). So I learned to build relationships without someone else to buffer for me.

Maybe none of this is coming out right. That's ok with me. I'm just rambling about what's on my heart. And what is on my heart is how grateful I am for a wonderful mom who nurtured me the best way she knew how and helped me to not hide myself from society.

Thanks mom for taking the time to work with this hard headed, quietly willful child of yours! You're the best :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate you taking time to comment :) I do not allow anonymous comments. Thank you for understanding!