9.16.2013

18 Weeks [A Bumpdate]


How Far Along: I am 18 weeks and 5 days. 149 days until I'm 40 weeks.

Baby's Size: Little Bean is about 5.6 inches in length, which is about the same as a sweet potato. They've also gained a few ounces now weighing approximately 6.7 oz.

Baby's Development: Though their ears have been externally developed, this week their bones are starting to harden, of which the inner ear bones are the first. That said, LB is probably starting to hear sound. I hope they heard the many "I love you"s said to them this week :)

Total Weight Gain/Loss: Well, we'll find out in a few weeks, but for now all I know is that my total is 6 pounds. If I had to guess, I'm going to say I will have gained about 4 pounds by my next appointment, totaling 10. But...won't know until I am weighed at my 20 week visit.

Food Aversions (and "no nos"): Still no BBQ. Please, let's stop the convo there. Aside from that, I've been able to reintroduce cucumbers, watermelon, apples. Pretty much the foods that were fine and then not are all ok again. Yippee! Also, I can only handle small bits of vinegar/acidic food. Olive oil and vinegar with salt and pepper on tuna? Yeah, I might as well be choosing to be sick for at least a good 6 hours. Yummy balsamic dressings? About the same as too much vinegar. And by "too much vinegar" I'm saying I can't have more than the little bit I get from eating a tiny baby pickle. Sensative to it much?

Gimme' some of that!: Nope. Not yet.

How I Feel: Really starting to feel like myself like I'm healthy again. The nausea is almost next to none. Just small bits here and there, mostly noted when I can't sneak in food. I wonder why I have trouble remembering to eat? Oh wait! I'm chasing a toddler. Ha!

More for myself than anything - I am already struggling with swelling. I can't stand for long periods and I have to prop my feet up to keep it at bay if I am able when I sit. This started at 20 weeks with Zoë so for this LB it's about 2 weeks sooner.

I'm also struggling with what I believe to be circulatory issues in my right leg only. There is a pair of maternity shorts I can't wear because the demi (below the belly) band is now, apparently, too tight (I'm unsure if it's because it shrunk, I've spread out more [I know I haven't gained weight in that area more than the expanding of baby], or a little bit of both) so that it causes a huge discomfort and my veins to bulge in my right leg. However, my leg becomes uncomfortable and the veins bulge after standing, as well. I'm under the belief that part of this is caused because of my epidural. I didn't have this problem with Zoë and my right sciatica never went away after. Not sure, but I'm going to discuss it with my OB at my next visit. I'm really hoping I don't hear the words "compression hose". 

Maternity Clothes: Yep. All the time. I'm really wishing that I had a reason to wear my scrubs. If I find out that I can't wear my demi band pants I may just have to use that as my excuse for scrubs. 

Movement: Feeling more on a daily basis. And I'm loving it! This LB seems to move in a "graceful" manner the same as Zoë did in utero. I have felt some little kicks and elbows here and there but I think it's more of "I'm trying to get comfy" because it's never drawn out much. May also be that it's still a little early to feel "every" movement. No clue. Only time will tell.

Sleep: I've been sleeping like a log this week. Thankfully. I'm having trouble waking up in the morning  and I struggle to keep myself awake at night so I go to bed at a decent hour and ensure that I'm not waking up before there is light out and not being able to go back to sleep. I am having to get up 1-2 times a night, but I generally fall right back to sleep.

What I Miss: Being able to easily get comfortable. This may sound horrible considering it will only get more uncomfortable, but I really can't find that "sweet spot" for comfort. I feel like I have to move every few minutes to allow blood to flow differently and my legs to not get achey or a hip to not get too much strain from being stuck in one position.

And call me crazy but I also miss my morning time to myself before Zoë is awake. Getting up before her and having time to spend with God and read and blog were all morning activities I enjoyed doing prepregnancy. However, I know my body is tired because it needs the rest to provide LB with what they need to grow, so I don't try to fight it. I just will be trying to get back to some kind of routine like that as soon as the newborn fatigue has kind of become "normal" enough that my body won't be in shock from me choosing to get up before 7.

What I'm Looking Forward To: Finding out the gender of the baby. I know many people say they "can't" not know, but honestly, if I didn't care about being able to pray for my child by name, I'm pretty sure we'd be a "surprise" couple. Wait until baby arrives to hear the words, "It's a ________!" I just love the extra touch of connection being able to pray for my little one by name (and gender specific, at that) BEFORE they are born. It meant a lot to me with Zoë and I am certain it will be just as meaningful with this baby. (I still hate the fact that I can't pray for my angel baby by name.)

Favorite Moment of the Week: Ummm...I'm honestly not sure. Time just seems to fly by. And I'm doing my best to soak up my moments with Zoë where she is the only child I have. As excited as I am about her getting to be a big sister and us growing our family by one, part of me is sad for the changes I know it will bring. Part of me knows I will miss the focus I am able to give her. The attention that can be bombarded by nothing if I turn off all electronic devices ability to notify me of anything incoming. And I don't really have to fight for that. I will want to fight for it with each of my kids, but I hate knowing that I will have to fight for it. However, maybe that means it will mean more in hindsight. I don't know. That's just where I am right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate you taking time to comment :) I do not allow anonymous comments. Thank you for understanding!