9.12.2013

Praying for Him: His Relationships


If there is one area I have truly spent time praying for my husband, it is in the area of relationships: that he would be surrounded by godly men and seek out relationships with godly men.

I don't say this to pat myself on the back or toot my own horn.

Honestly, I say this because I know the importance of relationships. Period. Which, coming from someone who frequently wishes she would have listened to her hermit-like inner-voice, is saying a lot, in my opinion. (Though you can take it all worth a grain of salt if you'd like considering I just promoted my opinion there. It was on accident, however. I digress.)

How do I know the importance of them? Because I have lived where I really didn't have any friends and then I have been blessed with friendships that I'm pretty sure I will have until the day I die. The latter is extremely rare as well as lots and LOTS of HARD WORK! I'm not saying the hard work is bad, but it most definitely takes putting myself aside, trudging the nasty waters of conflict, and learning to accept all of a person. (And YES, my friends have to do the same for me for it to work. Not saying I'm an easy person to get along with. In fact, I know I'm not an easy person to get along with.)

Choosing friends who will build you up is important. And it's imporant for your spouse, too.

Thankfully, I saw a quick answer to my prayer asking for great relationships when we moved to Houston. I knew that friendships can take a lot of time, even for someone who is as outgoing, sociable, people-oriented as Ben. (The guy doesn't know a stranger, okay?) Even all that being said, I wasn't under any ideas that we would get to Houston and Ben would just start connecting right off the cuff.

However, it wasn't but a few months we'd been here and he was meeting with one of our pastor's and another guy weekly. I was shocked, to say the least, but I was also extremely grateful God had already provided for him. I knew that Ben building a foundation was important because I knew that men struggle with building deep relationships since 1) they are men: men are typically not emotional like women and thus don't typically build great relationships very easily, and 2) relationships with other guys, good relationships, are put on the back burner because of the demands of their career.

I didn't want this to happen. So I prayed.

And when I sat to write this post, the realization of just how quickly God had answered my prayer hit me. I'm even more grateful now.

All of that to say, I encourage you to continually seek God's guidance in your marriage or relationship with your significant other, if you are in either life phase, but also to ask Him to build healthy relationships for you and your spouse daily. (And yes, if you aren't even dating yet, you can be praying that your future spouse is already surrounded by great, healthy, godly relationships.)
___________________________________________________________
Here are the rest of my posts from this 30 week series I've done on praying for my husband:


No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate you taking time to comment :) I do not allow anonymous comments. Thank you for understanding!