8.21.2013

Praying for Him: His Integrity


"Integrity is...who you are when no one is looking (p. 117)." (italics Omartian's, bold face mine.)

Just a few sentences later she quotes Matthew 5:37, "But let your statement be, 'Yes, yes' or 'No, no'; anything beyond thses is of evil." (NASB)

I immediately smiled.

Why, you ask?

Because when I first met Ben, that is one of the verses he quoted to me followed by a statement how he has always wanted and wants to keep that verse true about his life.

You guys, I have to say, that as far as a man is able while depending on God, I married a man of integrity. He honestly strives to be the same person all the time. What is true of him at work is true of him at home. What is true of him when I'm watching is true of him when I'm not around. What is true of his work ethic when his store is full is true when he is working by himself or has a moment that no one is watching.

However, because this really is a strength I feel Ben has been given by God, it hadn't really crossed my mind for God to protect that and allow it to remain true of Ben while God is granting him life here on earth. I just assumed it would continue. (How silly, naïve, ignorant of me. Shoot. A lot of descriptives could go there.)

But now I know otherwise. And now I will constantly pray Psalm 25:21 will always remain true of his life: "Let integrity and uprightness preserve me, For I wait for You." (NASB) I want my husband to always desire to tell the truth. I want him to desire no part of his life to be a lie, even if it feels it may save his rear end. I want his desire to be to see God's glory made known and that part of that is through living with integrity.

I'm glad that my eyes were opened to this and reminded the importance of praying that God protect what is going well, what is strong character.

Prayer for the difficulties as well as what happens to be going well is of utmost importance in everyone's life. May we always keep this at the forefront of our minds.
___________________________________________________________
On May 1st, I began this journey of praying for my husband using Stormie Omartian's Power of  a Praying Wife. I have always felt that praying for my hubby should be at the top of my list, yet I seem to really do it consistently or, better yet, to know how. Somewhere at the beginning of the book, Stormie suggests taking a 30 day challenge and praying through a chapter a day. I tried and failed, because, well, let's face it - life with a toddler changes constantly and some nights still turn into sleepless ones. So this series was birthed as a way to hold me accountable, spread the time frame a little more (and if you read all of them you will note that it will end up being longer than 30 weeks), and help me to "journal" my thoughts as I take this journey. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate you taking time to comment :) I do not allow anonymous comments. Thank you for understanding!