8.20.2013

Literary Junkies [v. 4]

Oooi! I haven't done well continuing to link up with my Literary Junkies comrads here in the past few months. I'm not really sure why, but I really wanted to make sure I did for this months because I want to stay connected with my fellow "book lovers"! So I'm off to link-up with Taylor at Pink Heels Pink Truck and Lesley at By the Porchlight.

Pink Heels Pink Truck

1. What are you currently reading? Tell us about it!


[via]
Ah...well, I'm trying to get myself into The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. But did you notice I said trying?

I just can't seem to really pick up the feel of this book and though I pride myself on trudging through almost every book I've ever picked up (I couldn't finish Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison), I just am not sure that I could finish this one.

This would only make my "couldn't finish" number up to 2, out of I have no clue how many I've read. It just bothers me to start a book and not finish, unless of course you're given a bazillion books for College Lit and you only have to read excerpts. Then I'm ok with saying it's not really been "picked up" to begin with and will do so later in my life. When I feel like picking that particular book up.



[via]
I'm also slowly working my way through this book. Of course, this won't apply to everyone, but so far, I'm really enjoying this book.

I will say I generally don't buy parenting books. I may ask questions to people on Facebook or do some online research, but I'm not huge fan on just picking up every parenting book.

However, my mom bought this book for me and I thought I'd give it a shot. I come from a long line of yellers (don't worry, my mom would be the first to tell you). I mean we yell just to get someone's attention from across the house. But angry yelling also came into play at times. And I'm willing to bet our family isn't the only one like that. Or that we're the only family who it continues to travel down the line.

I'm not very far into this book, so really I'll have to let you know what I think once I'm either further in or completely finished...though I'm going to be the former will happen first. Ha!

2. What is one book you think every person should read at least once in their life? Why?

Oh dear. You know, I have to give a shout out to Melissa from Little Mrs. Married for my answer to this question. Had it not been for her recent post about this book, I'm likely to have forgotten how great it is, even though it's on my "I could and probably will definitely read this book again."

So you wanna know what it is?

[via]
Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers.

Oh you guys! Yes, this is an amazing Christian fictional work based off the book of Hosea from the Bible, but I'm willing to guess that anyone can enjoy this romance novel.

The story is one that pulls you in from the beginning and you just don't want to put the book down. It is full of a story of grace, unconditional love, and redemption. Just a truly beautiful piece of art! (After all, that is what literature is, right? Art?)

So so so good!









3. Do you think you could ever write a book? If so, what genre would it be?

Hmmm...I've thought I could. And I've started to write short stories. And then life happened. Or I've received some negative criticism that stuck with me from my teacher's in high school. Which I happen to keep playing over and over in my head.

But, maybe I should try again. And just see what happens as time progresses.

As for genre...I'm not really sure. It'd definitely be a fictional work. I'm not into history or anything of the sort.

4. Do you listen to audiobooks? Do you look for the same things in an audiobook that you do in one you'll read?

I have tried. I really struggle to stay awake and/or stay focused on listening. But honestly, if I'm going to listen to an audiobook, then I want it to be something that'd I'd read the hard copy of.

5. Can you suggest a book of each type for others to try:

Fantasy - Harry Potter Saga (Of course!) by J.K. Rowling and The Hobbit by J.R.R Tolkien

NonFiction - Columbine by Dave Cullen (Please note: this is a heavy, heavy read, but from the way it was written I think they're really telling the truth that Cullen took his time doing research. A lot of effort went in to shedding light on all that actually happened.)

Fiction - The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum

Romance - Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers falls into this category (Yep. I'm using it twice.)

Classics - The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

Young Adult - The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares

And that wraps up this months Literary Junkies. If you are a fellow book lover, feel free to hop on over and link up! Love to hear what you have to say about books you're reading or have read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate you taking time to comment :) I do not allow anonymous comments. Thank you for understanding!