8.14.2013

Praying for Him: His Trials


This week, I think I'm going to leave you with some of the scriptures that spoke to my heart on this topic and a few quotes from Stormie. I just don't feel that human words really ever do this topic justice.

I know that I so easily look at trials funny or don't seem to remember the hope that I have in the midst of them. And even more so, I find myself trying to pray them away instead of pray for God's unfaltering strength through them for both myself and my husband.

And so I want to leave you with the quotes I really liked from Stormie and the scriptures which really spoke to my heart and reminded me just how I should be praying when trials face Ben or me.

The first part of a quote I liked, Stormie shares a story about how some of their friends stood through a trial and how the wife "fervently prayed that [her husband] would not get discouraged in the battle, but be able to stand strong through it (p. 112)." - Yes! Yes! Yes! This is what I want to do when trials come our way!

"His purpose for our trials is often to bring us humbly before Him to experience a breaking in our inner, independent, self-sufficient selves, and grow us up into compassionate, patient, spiritually strong, God-glorifying people (p. 112)." Mmm...I'm not always a fan of the breaking when I'm in the midst of it, but I know that when I look back, I'm always thankful that God never gave up on me and always wants to refine me.

"If your husband is going through a difficult time, carry it in prayer, but don't carry the burden. Even though you may want to, don't try to take away his load and make it yours (p. 113)." Gah...I constantly need this reminder. I tend to take on those I care for's problems, when really I just need to be there to walk through it with them and cover them in prayer. Such a good reminder!!

Now for the scriptures that hit me when I was reading (all NASB):

James 1: 2, 3 "Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance." Yes. This one is quoted. A lot. But I really think, at least for myself, it is always a great reminder. Scripture that will never grow rancid in my spirit, well I hope that it never goes "bad" or "gets old". 

Romans 8:18 "For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us." I'm just going to let this one speak for itself. I need the reminder to see life this way a lot.

Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." Another "popular" verse that I also think speaks for itself. A great verse to pray over everyone in my family, including myself. Great reminder.

Romans 8:38, 39 "For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." This verse is a great reminder that even when trials seem dark and you may seem all alone, nothing can separate you from the love of God, thus you always have the hope of knowing that no matter the outcome, you're in God's hands. A much needed reminder for myself when I try to start carrying the burden that is meant to refine my best friend.

Psalm 55:16-18a "As for me, I shall call upon God, And the Lord will save me. Evening and morning and at noon, I will complain and murmur, And He will hear my voice. He will redeem my soul in peace from the battle which is against me..." The reminder that God hears our pleas in the midst of struggles and that no matter the outcome will redeem my husband's soul in peace...just a great reminder!

I'm pretty sure there are way more scriptures that apply to this topic, but these are the ones that Stormie mentioned and these are the ones I'm currently clinging to and have at the forefront of my mind. 

I hope that I will remember to seek out God and pray these scriptures over Ben, or even myself, when the battles come, no matter how difficult it may be.
___________________________________________________________
Over a 30 week period, which I started with an intro on May 1st, I will be doing a weekly series where I talk about my journey through Stormie Omartian's Power of  a Praying Wife. I felt led to pray for my husband, wanted to incorporate the book, but knew that doing a 30 day challenge was next to impossible. (Let's face it: life with a baby just-turned-Toddler changes and there are still nights with many wake up calls due to teething or illness. I'd already tried once and failed.)  So this series was born as a way to share, encourage, and hold me accountable to the commitment I made. I'll keep a list of links for the series on each post so you can easily access them all. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate you taking time to comment :) I do not allow anonymous comments. Thank you for understanding!