5.27.2013

Memory Monday: Memorial Day [v. 19]

My weekend was nothing but normal: grocery shopping, a date with the hubs, lounging around, enjoying the outdoors. Nothing to really share about; at least, I can't think of much.

However, I still have this picture engrained in my mind: as I walked into Walmart for my grocery shopping trip, I was greeted by an elderly man who handed me a fake flower. The years seemed to have been kind to him. Yes, I could tell he was elderly, but he had a bright, welcoming smile and such a sweet, aged voice. On his head he wore a navy ball cap proudly displaying he was part of a service community for vets, he himself included in that number.

I don't know if he saw wartime or not; he might have, but that is not my point, nor is it the reason that I have the image of him engrained in my mind's eye at this moment.

I am so grateful to those who have served our country, fighting to give us and keep our freedom. Without them, I might not know many of the liberties I know: to openly worship my God and King, to freely go to and from a store, to vote for the laws instigated in our country. It is because of men and women like him I am able to even write this post without any fear of it being used against me.

I see men and women like him or soldiers who are in uniform and, suddenly, I'm overcome by a sense of pride in my country. I see the flag boldly making it's statement in a clear blue sky, or even sometimes  a storm, and my throat begins to feel tight.

And it is because of this sense of pride and this so special holiday to me, both because of the freedom I am endowed by their courage and choice to protect our country and because I have family who has served our country, I cannot get that sweet man out of my mind.

Hopefully, we all remember those who have fought and died for our freedom more than just this one time a year. For without them, we would not have the opportunity to so freely do the many other activities and live the lifestyles we have.

To those currently serving our country, THANK YOU!

To those who have lost a loved one because they served, THANK YOU FOR ALLOWING YOUR LOVED ONE TO SERVE OUR COUNTRY! MAY YOU BE PROUD OF EVERYTHING THEY LIVED AND DIED FOR!

I know that I am forever grateful for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate you taking time to comment :) I do not allow anonymous comments. Thank you for understanding!