10.24.2013

Praying for Him: Walking with Jesus


"Faith and obedience will get him on the Highway of Holiness; walking in the Spirit, and not in the flesh, will keep him there." (p. 165)

If there is one part of our lives I have covered in prayer, it is our walks with the Lord. Not just Ben's, but mine, and hoping the same for my children.

My mind constantly breaths a quick prayer: "May we keep our eyes fixed on You, the Author and Perfecter of our faith. (reference to Hebrews 12:2) May we always choose to build our relationship with You. May we not fall away on account of the trials we face."

Even though my family lives in a country where it is professed you are free to believe whatever you choose, trials still come our way and persecution finds it's many different forms. Life is hard, choosing to have faith isn't always easy or desirable in our humannes. Satan wants to see us fail.

And so I pray. I cover my home in prayer requesting God give us strength to stand firm.

An aspect of this chapter I really liked was how Stormie lists several verses with the different quality stated in how we're to walk. I want to put that list here, both to see it in a different form for myself and so you can have it to look at:
How We Are to Walk:
  1. with moral correctness (Psalm 84:11)
  2. without fault (Proverbs 28:18)
  3. with godly advisors (Psalm 1:1)
  4. in obedience (Psalm 128:1)
  5. with people of wisdom (Proverbs 13:20)
  6. with integrity (Proverbs 10:9)
  7. a path of holiness (Isaiah 35:8)
I love how she follows up how we're supposed to walk with this: "The best part about walking on the Highway of Holiness is that even if we end up doing something dumb, we still won't get thrown off the path." (p. 164; list compiled from p. 163-164) It's a reminder to recognize even when we strive to choose walking with the Lord, we are imperfect people in need of a perfect Savior. If we became perfect while here on earth, we would stop needing Him. Yet, knowing we will never reach perfection here doesn't mean we should bathe our lives in prayer, asking God to help us to walk with Him daily.

This really applies to everyone. This isn't something that need only be prayed for your spouse. As I mentioned in the beginning, I bathe our entire family in prayer asking we remain grounded in the Spirit. 

The verses which always come to mind when I'm praying over our walks is what I will leave you with (Yes, in their entirety even though I referenced part of it earlier. It's just too good not to :]):

"Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. For consider Him who has endured such hostility by sinners against Himself, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."
Hebrews 12:1-3 NASB

___________________________________________________________
Here are the rest of my posts from this 30 week series I'm doing on praying for my husband:


No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate you taking time to comment :) I do not allow anonymous comments. Thank you for understanding!