That's Not Supposed to Happen

So my day was plugging along. My normal Monday. (I still am not a fan of Monday even though I'm a SAHM. I don't know 100% why, especially considering my hubby's job splits his weekend so that he's off Sunday and Tuesday. I say that because it isn't like I have his help two straight days in a row; the true weekend doesn't spell relief for me. Not one bit.) Anyway, it was just a going like normal.

Woke up. Gave Sweet Pea her medicine. Fed her. Fed myself. Got the grocery list together. Put Sweet Pea down for a nap. Oh! I forgot, I also took care of my mom's dog amidst all of this. She needed someone to take care of him and asked me; I happily accepted, knowing full well he is a bit neurotic :). Actually made time to be with the Lord. Got dressed, foregoing shower (umm...does anyone else feel me on this? It's not always easy to find/make time to shower with a baby). Sweet Pea woke up. Fed her second breakfast. WHOA!

*SIDE NOTE* I just realized as I typed that, it's not so much second breakfast anymore, as it is lunch.  :( My baby is growing up...at least it's still a liquid lunch. Looking to start solids at 5 months *sigh*


After her "lunch", we packed up and headed to do our weekly grocery outing. Usually the little Bit falls asleep during this, which I'm all for. But as time kept passing, I began to realize she was NOT falling asleep. Not. One. Wink.

I kept thinking, "That's SO not supposed to happen! She should be sleeping! Oh this is going to mess up the entire schedule....ugh! She's going to be overtired. It will be a miracle if I can get her to take a good nap later this afternoon. Oh dear Jesus, please PLEASE don't let this ruin the afternoon! I'm begging you to pour your grace over this situation. I'm not sure I can make it through a terror of an afternoon."

She stayed awake 3 HOURS! THREE! HOLY FREAKIN' COW! This baby normally screams at me if I get her down for a nap any later than an hour and 45 but is usually ready around 1.5 hours. THREE?!?!

We actually made it through alive. She slept for the car ride home with a little extra once home. Unfortunately, Target is only a few blocks away from us so it wasn't much. Then I put her down for a nap about an hour later, only to hear her screaming, whether from teething or being overtired I'm not sure, 30 minutes later.

It was at that point I decided I could use some rest too. I consoled her. Got her comfortable, and held her for the remaining hour of her nap.


I was so grateful God allowed that to work. Especially because it allowed our night-night routine to go so smoothly.

Needless to say, I made it through the day without feeling like a chicken with it's head cut-off. And tomorrow I have some extra hands to help me :)


  1. My tip on working in a shower every day if you want one every day... In the second book in the Babywise series they talked about playpen time. Best. Thing. EVER! Basically you start pretty young with baby. Pretty sure I was doing this by five/six months. You put baby in the play pen with a few toys in a room where they can't see you. You start with a small amount of time and work up to 30-45 minutes.

    I think I started as soon as my babies were able to scoot around a bit and get to their toys if they ended up out of reach. Anyways... playpen time is absolutely genius. Baby is in a safe enclosure and while there learns to use imagination because they only have a few toys. They also learn to entertain themselves and it expands attention spands.

    But the best thing about it all is that it gives you time to quickly jump in the shower! (I know... someone out there will think I'm awful for that but I figure that no matter when you take a shower, unless someone else is home, baby is being unwatched... even if sleeping. If you know they are safe then go for it. :))

    Pretty sure that playpen time was the best thing I ever did.

  2. Amy | Taking Steps HomeJuly 25, 2012 at 8:52 AM

    So glad you were able to breathe AND get some rest with your sweet P! :) <3 I don't have children so i can't begin to understand the ins and outs of it, but i can only imagine how stressful it can be to get off of a good working routine!


I appreciate you taking time to comment :) I do not allow anonymous comments. Thank you for understanding!